Monday, March 16, 2009

Manic Monday ~ PARTY

Marvelous Morgen has declared today PARTY day. It looks like St Patrick’s Day all over the blogging world. Check out other PARTY posts HERE.




On the other hand, I rarely celebrate the great saint. I don’t drink green beer and am not really fond of a corned beef dinner. That being the case, I shall celebrate my PARTY with a stroll down memory lane…

Art Linkletter's House PARTY or House PARTY was an American daytime TV variety/talk show which aired on CBS Radio from January 15, 1945 to October 13, 1967. It had an equally long run on television--on CBS-TV from September 1, 1952 to September 5, 1969, and on NBC-TV from December 29, 1969 to September 25, 1970. (I don’t remember the radio show, but I do remember my mother making sure we watched it on TV – after Dad finally conceded to buying one).

Hosted by Linkletter, the show featured everything from household hints to hunts for missing heirs. A humorous monolog by Linkletter could be followed by an audience participation quiz to win prizes, musical groups and guest speakers from assorted walks of life. Ideas for the show were devised by producer John Guedel and his father, Walter, but Linkletter never used scripts or rehearsed.

The show's best-remembered segment was "Kids Say the Darndest Things" in which Linkletter interviewed schoolchildren between the ages of five and ten. The popularity of this segment led to a TV series with the same title and a series of Kids Say the Darndest Things books. Two were illustrated by Charles Schulz in a rare non-Peanuts approach. During the 27-year run, Linkletter interviewed more than 23,000 children.

Kids Say the Darndest Things then became an American television series hosted by Bill Cosby and co-hosted by Art Linkletter that aired on CBS from 1998 to 2000. It was based on a popular feature of Art Linkletter's television series, Art Linkletter's House Party, which aired five days a week on CBS for more than 20 years. Cosby also provided some of the humor in the show. The premise of the show is that the host would ask a question to a child (around the age of 3-8) who would usually respond in a "cute" way.
Enjoy the following... hubby, #1 son and I laughed and chuckled throught the following seven minutes...



2 comments:

  1. Those were hilarious and set the format for most of the daytime "variety" shows that have followed since.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah yes, quality TV - I seem to remember it and even remember watching Art Linkletter when I was a kid.

    I don't really do St. Patrick's Day either though I do like a nice corned beef meal from time to time. I was going to make some here but will probably wait until after the holiday when I get the corned beef a bit cheaper. Hmmm, I must be a Scot!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by... I appreciate your comments.