Friday, July 31, 2009

Camp Tosebo (III) ~ the old Camp Truck

I received the following email (as a cc) from my aunt on Tuesday – and the reason for a separate post about the camp truck.

Tuesday, July 28, 2009 4:57 AM
Dave…
You commented that A, E. Johnson was always the first name on the register. Indeed we were the first people to open the clubhouse door in June. As you will see in my stories, we came by Pere Marquette boats from Milwaukee, in the early years. I was still young when started driving around Chicago to get to camp. The truck was driven up at that time with supplies from Todd (School). Through the winter the camp truck was housed in our garage, unused as it was not insured. Usually one of the counselors drove it to Woodstock. We could easily make it in a day. It was because of these trips that Dad (General Johnson) invented and patented the precursor to the cruise control. He called it the "Gas-master". That's another story.

Back to camp-- We were the ones that looked for damage from field mice etc. One year flying squirrels took over the Crow's Nest. Dad would get water system in operation. He knew where every plug went and he removed to drain the system. He laid the pipes that went up the hill when we had water. I don't have to tell you what it takes to open up after it's been closed all winter. We learned to leave dresser drawers upside down to keep the mice out.Which cottage do you have? The Shaw one or did you build a new one?

Enough of my ramblings.Micky

The original Camp Truck was and old Model T.












They surely could load it down for their canoeing trips.




















A common sight on camp ground and around town, was my grandfather driving the newer version of the truck. I assume he drove the old Model T also, but this is the truck that most of the campers remember. (I believe this is the truck for which my grandfather invented the “gas-master”).

The people who have become partners in the new Old Camp Tosebo Inn have just had this truck fully renovated. One of these partners,Dave Wallace (a former camper), writes: The truck that the General is driving has just been restored - I didn't do the work, but I paid the bills. It brings smiles to the folks in Onekama and Manistee who remember when it came to town full of singing little boys.














So... that's the beginning of my dad's story. I am sure there is so much more that I do not now know... and probably never will. I just received another email from my Aunt Micky. She has an old photo album that she is sending me of Todd School and Camp Tosebo. There are also pictures of my grandfather (General Johnson) and grandmother (the Latin teacher) when they were students at Hiram College. Can't wait to get it!

Thanks for stopping by and joining me on this trip...
Have a great weekend.

3 comments:

  1. What a great story about the camp truck. I'm so happy it's been restored. Awesome.

    Have a terrific day and weekend honey. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not quite sure what is going on above, but it won't accept comments under your "Take This Tune" entry. It was a wonderful story and I thank you for taking part in the first edition. I'm with you on old ball parks, like us they are charming and quirky

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by... I appreciate your comments.